News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Late onset adrenal hyperplasia?

nersetep1234 - Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:28 pm

I am a male 27 years old. For the last two years, my cortisol levels have been at the low end of the normal range. In the last year, I have had consistant high levels of DHEA. According to the lab, my the upper limit should be around 690ish. My levels alternate from 900 to 1400. But when they explore Test or DHEAS my levels are in the normal range! My thryoid is the only exception it has begun to not function properly (hypothryoidism) and has been responding to treatment. All my other blood work appears fine.

My symptoms are chronic fatigue, weight gain, acne, decreased sexual pleasure, increased body hair, thinning hair, lack of thrust, and increased bruising, feels as if I am drugged when I eat (I can't describe it anyother way)

I am at a loss for what to do. I have been referred to endocrinologist who takes a normal hormonial profile and because my sex hormones are not off doesn't seem to be concerned.

I am starting to suspect that I am might have some form of late onset adrenal hyperplasia. But even if that is the diagnosis, I have been informed that generally treatment is not done for males with this. I have another appointment with my endocrinologist on the 4th of September.

These last two years have been ungodly difficult due to the mind numbing fatigue.

Also, I did have a history of hyperfunctioning of adrenals (elevated cortisol above the normal range) for about 2 years, 2 years prior to all of this (no known cause). I have had 2 Recent CT of my adrenals--both being normal. I also had a history of elevated 17 ketosteriods during my time with elevated cortisol but am uncertain whether or not they are still elevated.

Any advise that anyone can offer would be more than appreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:03 pm

User avatar Hi Nersetep1234,

I would recommend you follow up with your endocrinologist.

You may want to discuss a cortisol stimulation test to see if your cortisol levels respond appropriately. It may also be appropriate to test for overall hypopituitarism (where all the pituitary hormones are low). This condition would potentially explain the development of your hypothyroidism as well as your fatigue and other symptoms quite nicely.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here