News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Can hypothyroidism cause diabetes?

edwardianactress - Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:18 am

I am a 38 yr. old female whose mom had hypothyroid and a goiter. She has diabetes and low temperature. So do I. I suffer from hypothyroidism, lupus, fybromyalgia, MVP, heart murmer, pericardial effusion, and hypoglygemia. I have suffered from collapsing for years. The Drs have no diagnosis. Lately it has become really bad. On bad days I collapse alot. I do not lose conciousness. Lately I have been falling into a sleeplike state about 30 minutes after eating. I am awake and can hear everything but cannot move, open my eyes, or talk. It starts off with me getting really angry all of the sudden, then I have to lie down no matter if I am driving walking or what, I have to rest where ever I am, even if it means pulling the car over or laying on the ground. It has been lasting for about an hour. For 3 days my stools have been black and tarry. I do not know what to do. I am at my whits end. Between the collapsing and the sleeping while awake, I have become non functional. The only thing I can think of is that I have become diabetic?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:20 pm

User avatar Hi Edwardianactress,

Regarding the title of your post, hypothyroidism does not cause diabetes; however, both are usually caused by an autoimmune process and autoimmune illnesses often occur together.

Diabetes could explain your symptoms although it would be a little atypical presentation. Checking for this is definitely worthwhile.

I would also recommend you have your thyroid levels checked again to make sure they are still OK.

You may also want to see a neurologist for their perspective on things as well.

Follow up with your doctor is important.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here