Question: Lymph Node under Armpit??

mjt1886 - Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:20 pm

I'm a 21 year old male who has had no health problems or surgeries in the past, with the exception of mild asthma. A little over a month ago I discovered a small lump under my left armpit. My immediate thoughts were that it was an infected lymph node, as I have had them before in the neck and face, and that it was nothing to worry about. I went to the doctor anyway and he gave me some antibiotics (Keflex). I took them, but it didn't go away. I examined the lump for myself, more indepth, only to find that it literally feels like its right under the skin. It moves when I move my skin, it is not stationary. It's very soft and does not hurt. There is no other swelling around the skin and there is no irritation. MY appetite and weight are fine, in fact I have actually gained weight since I found it. I have had some family members with cancer, but no immediate family. Is this even a lymph node?? If it's not, then what is it? Should I be concerned?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:36 pm

User avatar Hi Mjt1886,

What you are feeling may very well be a lymph node. The armpit area has lots of lymph nodes in it. From your description, if it is a lymph node, it does not sound abnormal.

Another possibility is a lipoma. This is a non-cancerous fat cell tumor that generally does not need treatment. If it becomes painful or continues enlarging, a lipoma can be removed by a simple surgery.

I would recommend you have your doctor evaluate this when you are in for your next check up.

|