Question: From hypothyroidism to hyperthyroidism?

Bobsun - Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:42 am

Is it possible for a 2-month baby with congenital hypothyroidism after about a 2-month treatment with Levothyroxin to go to hyperthyroidism?
I was wondering what the chances for the hypothyroidism to be temporary are (because the baby was born with CS and iodine disinfection was applied). I am aware that prbably this has nothing to do with the iodine but still I am a parent.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:19 pm

User avatar Hi Bobsun,

High levels of iodine can inhibit thyroid production from a thyroid gland that could then begin working properly again when the iodine levels fall. It would take a significant amount of iodine to do this though. I'm not familiar with the iodine disinfection you are referring to. It if was just the iodine put on the umbilical cord this would not be enough to do this.

Typically congenital hypothyroidism would not be expected to suddenly become hyperthyroid. One possible, and most likely, explanation for this is that your baby is now getting too much thyroid hormone.

I would recommend you continue to follow up with your baby's endocrinologist to adjust the thyroid supplementation so that proper levels are maintained.

|