Question: Common cold makes me cough but cures all mental ills

CitizenKane - Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:34 pm

This is a really cool web site, thanks whoever dreamed it up and stuck with it.

I am 23 y.o. Male, no serious illnesses past or present, had 2 general anaesthesias (sp?) and one or two local ones for various bumps/breaks

No family history of anything horrible, except of course heart attacks. I had whooping cough for a good few months when I was 2. (I remember it quite well and I swear it made me autistic or something, one night I remember I coughed so hard I sort of felt something tense and break in the front of my brain, it didnt hurt, but I felt sort of mentally numb afterwards, any thoughts on that would be welcome)

No current medication, unless you count beechams throat lozenges.

So, basically I am depressed most of the time, maybe because im smart, maybe because im stupid, maybe because my life is boring, or maybe because I am boring.... that doesnt actually bother me at the moment... what is really interesting to me is the fact that once every 2 or 3 years i get a cold. And whenever I do, for 2, 3 maybe even 4 days if I'm lucky, my depression *completely* lifts.

I've tried different diets and all sorts of things to improve my life, some things help, some things don't, the only thing that truly makes me feel *completely* healthy and content is my body winning the fight against the common cold. (I think I had the flu once and that made me feel good too).

Is there any interesting medical explanation for that?

Am I addicted to throat lozenges?

Do I associate having a cold with time off work/school? (hence making me feel happy)

Hopefully it's none of those things, and hopefully it has an interesting explanation, and hopefully that interesting explanation won't make me look too silly.

Please be creative in your responses and bare in mind that if possible I would like to recreate "feeling completely healthy" if possible.

And hopefully my dry sense of humour will go down well with you medical people!

Thanks in advance
Kevin
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:20 pm

User avatar Very interesting phenomenon. Must be somehow related to your immune system kicking in I suppose.

You might be interested in a book called "When Your Body Gets The Blues" by Marie-Annette Brown and Jo Robinson. It is mostly directed to women, but there are some interesting thoughts on depression as a physical process. It also gives a formula for treatment and self-help.

Good luck to you.
 CitizenKane - Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:33 pm

Hi Debbie

Thanks very much for your reply, the book title alone sounds quite interesting, it would be nice to have a logical perspective on depression as opposed to a psychiatric one.

I'm quite drunk at present and shouldn't really be replying to this now, but I'm too drunk to be concerned.

I agree, my immune response cures my depression, which begs the question; what on earth is wrong with me?

I would like to know more about how the body fights infection.

What does the body do? How does it change? What do these changes effect? And how could this combine to make me feel as I should be feeling in the first instance?

Could I be addicted to illness? Addicted to my own immune response? Maybe I have munchausens.

Maybe I'm just bored. Ok I'm not just bored, but I am bored.

Interlude:
Creditibility has reached zero.
End of interlude.

But seriously, is it possible to be addicted to your own immune response? Please can someone find me an answer to that.

Thanks be to you, oh highly educated retrospective-thanks-accepting medicine-type personage of great wit and clarity.
 CitizenKane - Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:36 pm

Excuse me, I believe you meant 'Credibility'.

Thank you.

|