News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: female hormonal imbalance

lissa_k - Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:02 pm

26, female. I have no children and have never been pregnant.

Hx: depression (40mg prozac q day), seasonal allergies/asthma (20mg singular q hs, 250/50 advair BID), atopic dermatitis, severely dry skin.

Surgical hx: exploratory laparoscopy (2006), wisdom teeth excision (1999).

Family hx:
- father: CAD, DM type 2, hyperlipidemia
- mother: hypothyroidism, hypotension, anxiety
- grandmother: hyperparathyroidism (with excision)
- there is also breast and colorectal cancer & lymphoma in both maternal & paternal grandparents.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so here's my problem.

Via testing, I have learned that I have low estrogen and high LH.

My electrolytes, TSH, ESR, ANA, RF, and CBC are all normal.

I am experiencing oligomenorrhea and anovulation. I am constantly fatigued, my muscles and joints (mostly in my legs) hurt despite exercise and physical therapy. I also have recurrent headaches, sometimes migraines. These have been problems for me since high school.

My NP has suggested asking my OB about PCOS, but I do not have any signs of hirsuitism.

I recently graduated with my RN and have just started working towards a master's degree, so mental retardation is not a factor here.

I am not asking you to diagnose me. I need some suggestions so that I can research and work with my doctors and NP's to find a resolution to my problems.

Also, does this sound like something I should see an endocrinologist about? Or would family practice or an OB-GYN be appropriate?

Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:11 pm

User avatar Hi Lissa_k,

When the LH is elevated, typically PCOS is thought of. Often, the LH:FSH ratio is helpful in diagnosing PCOS also. With PCOS, the LH:FSH ratio (typically about 1:1) will be elevated to about 2-3:1 or even higher.

Prolactin should also be tested to be sure it isn't an elevation of prolactin causing your problems.

Hirsutism is not necessarily required for the diagnosis, nor are cystic ovaries.

Seeing your OB is a good place to start. If your OB has trouble an endocrinologist will be appropriate.

Bets wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here