News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Pregnancy

arthole - Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:07 pm

I wrote a few days ago asking about my girlfreinds diabetes. ( see pills or insulin ) I believe that it's out of control and that the pills are not working. Now there is a new complication. We learned that she is pregnant of approx 1.5 to 2 months along. what are the risks to her and to the unborn child? birth defects? her health? ect....
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:47 pm

User avatar Hi Arthole,

Pregnancy can have varying effects on diabetes. It is very important that she continue to follow up with her obstetrician.

If her diabetes is well managed and her blood sugar is controlled the pregnancy is very likely to be normal. Poorly controlled diabetes can have dramatic effects on the baby including delayed lung development, cardiac problems and colon problems.

Keeping the blood sugar under control does not totally remove the risk to the baby, unfortunately. Diabetes in pregnancy makes the pregnancy slightly higher risk but good follow up with her obstetrician will minimize these risks. Diabetics routinely have pregnancies and deliveries with normal healthy babies.

From your prior post I seem to recall that there was a possibility of her diabetes being poorly controlled. I would again advise her to see her doctor and get this dealt with, for the baby's health and, just as importantly, for her own health.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here