Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Pregnancy

arthole - Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:07 pm

I wrote a few days ago asking about my girlfreinds diabetes. ( see pills or insulin ) I believe that it's out of control and that the pills are not working. Now there is a new complication. We learned that she is pregnant of approx 1.5 to 2 months along. what are the risks to her and to the unborn child? birth defects? her health? ect....
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:47 pm

User avatar Hi Arthole,

Pregnancy can have varying effects on diabetes. It is very important that she continue to follow up with her obstetrician.

If her diabetes is well managed and her blood sugar is controlled the pregnancy is very likely to be normal. Poorly controlled diabetes can have dramatic effects on the baby including delayed lung development, cardiac problems and colon problems.

Keeping the blood sugar under control does not totally remove the risk to the baby, unfortunately. Diabetes in pregnancy makes the pregnancy slightly higher risk but good follow up with her obstetrician will minimize these risks. Diabetics routinely have pregnancies and deliveries with normal healthy babies.

From your prior post I seem to recall that there was a possibility of her diabetes being poorly controlled. I would again advise her to see her doctor and get this dealt with, for the baby's health and, just as importantly, for her own health.

|