News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: possible iodine deficiency

melonmuffin - Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:11 pm

Sex: male
Past diagnoses: N/A
Past surgeries: None
Family history: Father has hyperactive thyriod
Current Medications: 600mg Motrin

Symptoms: Extreme intollerance to cold, joint and bone pains, inability to gain weight (5'10" at 110lbs), I don't get hungry, tired, usually sleeping about 12 hours a day while still feeling tired when awake, was diagnosed with depression when I was in my early teen years; and again by the US Navy in 2005,

I'm not sure what the problem is but I'm wondering what could possibly be causing the intollerance to cold, joint and bone pains, and inability to gain weight. I am currently seeing a doctor, and going by my MRI, he said that I only have fluid on my knee and yet he didn't attempt to drain the fluid.

Physical theropy had little effect.

Thank you for your time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:20 pm

User avatar Hi Melonmuffin,

Your symptoms could potentially be related to hypothyroidism (although this usually leads to weight gain not loss). Your post subject refers to iodine deficiency which can lead to hypothyroidism.

I would recommend you have your thyroid levels tested. It is a simple test and a fixable problem if hypothyroidism is present.

Depression can cause some of these symptoms also so if this is currently an issue, treating the depression may help.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here