News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: high calcium

slit throat - Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:18 pm

I am 51 year old female.

I was diagnosed with high calcium and high vitamin D. I recently had surgery to remove one parathyroid which had a tumor on it and was told this should eliminate the high calcium levels. Subsequent blood test show that I still have high calcium levels. The doctors cannot explain why. I have been told to continue monitoring my calcium levels every six months. I have be advised that high calcium will affect my other organs but have not been told what happens when it starts affecting my other organs.

There is no history of high calcium in my family. I currently have high blood pressure (8mg of Attacand) and high cholesterol (40mg Lipator). I aso take 1 asprin (cartia) daily

What other reasons can be causing my high calcium
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:37 pm

User avatar I'm sure you know that calcium is one of many electrolytes your body needs to function properly. All cells in the body require the proper firing of electrical impulses and the body tries to keep everything in balance through the endocrine system, of which the parathyroid is a member.

Hopefully the levels will continue to normalize over time. Continued high levels can affect many different body systems and we couldn't guess which ones might be affected in your case. It can affect your GI system, causing loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting or constipation; your kidneys causing flank pain, stones, dehydration and increased urination; your mental status, causing headache, confusion, depression, lethargy; your musculoskeletal system causing muscle/joint pain and weakness, etc.

Our best wishes to you for a full and speedy recovery. I am glad you are under a doctor's care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here