Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Glucose level drops after eating & later raises

darkestdays30 - Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:15 pm

I bought a glucose monitor today cause I've been feeling fainty and extremely fatigued sometimes during morning hours if I haven't eaten. At other times, it just hurts like hunger pains & makes me sick.

About 5 hours after not eating, I checked my glucose (showing pre-diabetes), then I ate, and re-checked it one hour later, and my glucose level dropped (in normal range though), but one hour after that, I re-checked it again and it had raised even higher than the first result (pre-diabetes again).

I thought your glucose was supposed to raise 1 hr after eating, and then be lower within 2 hrs. Do these results make any sense?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:26 pm

User avatar There is a reason we don't go around routinely checking our glucose unless we have had initial screening and testing indicating a problem with it. The body is designed to maintain the right balance of insulin and glucose so that we don't have to go around connected to an IV for constant even administration - think about the nights while we sleep - the body manages to keep things in balance. It does this by raising and lowering levels as necessary, using glucose stores in the body, but it does not do it by the clock. So, no matter what "normal" or "average" may be, your body may be on a different schedule. I would not worry about this so much.

Everyone experiences times of occasional hypoglycemia and it's only when the body is incapable of maintaining the normal levels that we worry. This happens with diabetes.

If you are worried about your health, please schedule an exam with your doctor then explain the symptoms as you have described them here. There are plenty of reasons for fatigue, dizziness, feeling faint, etc. Blood sugar fluctuations are just one of these.

Best wishes
 darkestdays30 - Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:30 am

I got a bit lightheaded after eating this morning and my glucose only dropped to 84. None of the readings I took this morning were too high or too low so I'm definetly not concerned.

Thank you.
 darkestdays30 - Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:32 am

What are abnormal low levels of blood sugar? Can glucose monitoring be helpful in figuring out if there is a problem with absorbing sugar? Mine elevates & then drops down in the 60's 2 hrs after drinking fructose. With lactose, it drops and doesn't elevate at all. I think I have sugar malabsorption but my doctor will not test me for it. If fructose causes hypoglycemia, could it be due to fructose malabsorption?

|