News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: 24/m underdeveloped for my age

russjohn83 - Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:53 am

I'm a 24 year old male,my problem I have is that I look like and have the body of a 16 year old. I'm thin with little body muscle and very little body hair though I do have normal pubic hair and some facial hair. My body fat distribution seems to be concentrated on my hips and abdomen with very little on my upper body.
Are there any tests you think I should undergo?
Any help would be appreciated
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:29 pm

User avatar Hi Russjohn83,

I suspect that everything is OK but you may want to talk with your doctor about having your cortisol level tested. Abnormal cortisol levels (low or high) can lead to changes in body fat distribution.

Best wishes.
 Muttley78 - Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:17 am

I'm 29 and in a similar situation with (probably) normal pubic hair, but little axillary hair and little facial hair. In the last 6 months I actually have developed a very small smattering of fine chest hairs but lop-sided!!! My left pectoral area has more than my right, and anyways none of it is actually visible to anyone bar me. I feel I am never finishing puberty and it is driving me nuts. I look like an adolescent.
 russjohn83 - Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:01 am

Many thanks for your advice doctor,
I did get a few blood tests done:

Serum cortisol (8am) 18.30 ug/dl (Range: 5-25)
Total Testosterone 568.90 ng/dl (Range 166-877)
Free Testosterone 14 pg/ml (range 8.69-54.69)

My free testosterone levels seem to be on the low side. Do you think it's something I should be concerned about?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:29 pm

User avatar I suspect that both the total and free testosterone are actually OK. If there is concern, and endocrinologist can help determine if other testing is needed. There are many more hormones in this cascade may be evaluated if needed.

Overall I would not be too concerned.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here