Question: I want to grow taller

JuliaS - Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:39 am

I am 19 yeard old and about 5 ft 5and a half/5 ft 6, i have very little facial hair, which has only recently started to develop, throughtout my childhood my growth has been pretty slow even during my ages between 13-16, but i am sure i grew an inch during my 18th year. i am normal downstairs and everything.

my mum is about 5 ft 2 and my dad is about 5 ft 7/8, my younger brother is about 5 ft 8.5/9. I recently read a topic about Human Growth hormone and in one paragraph the researcher stated that he knew of a 19 yr old girl who took an arginine supplement for a week, after feeling naeseous (sp) she stopped but in that month subsequently grew an inch.

I am thinking of taking an arginine supplement (which i have read promotes high levels of HGH in young people) with the hope that i can grow taller, what are your thoughts. Also do you think my growth plates have closed yet.

This is where i read from

http://www.futurescience.com/hgh.html

and the paragraph

"I personally know of one 19 year-old female who took L-arginine before bedtime for one week. She stopped after one week because it was making her nauseous, which was an indication of an excessive level of HGH release. Even though she had not grown since she was 16, during the subsequent month, she grew an additional inch, and had a noticeable growth of her heel bones."
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:37 pm

User avatar Hi JuliaS,

By age 19, your growth plates are basically closed. It is unlikely that you will be able to gain in height at this point.

I would recommend being very cautious about using supplements that claim to give increased height once reaching adulthood. These are very unlikely to actually work and may have significant side effects.

JuliaS - Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:24 am

thanks for your reply the supplement i am looking to take does not actually say it increases height it claims to increase the level of HGH, from the research i have done on the internet i have read that arginine supplements (specifically powder substances not tablets) stimulate the pituatry (sp) gland to produce more growth hormone hence me wanting to take an arginine supplement.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:29 am

I agree with Dr. Lowe. Supplements such as these have not been shown through studies to increase height, and especially once the growth plate has closed. This is a basic physiological fact that you cannot bypass with medications or supplements.

You will likely waste lots of money and could suffer unpleasant side effects. Keep in mind that supplements are not regulated through the FDA for purity or even verification of claims that they are what they say they are or do what they claim. These are entirely different from medications that are regulated, so you use at your own risk. Of course there are always possible exceptions to every rule and isolated stories will abound, but you can't expect such results - consider it a rare event if it happens and it may not even be related to the supplement.

If this were truly effective, don't you think doctors would jump on it right away to help their many patients for whom this is a concern? These things are not kept secret from the mainstream medical community. Try to focus on who you are; not the body you wish you had. I am a short person and I believe this is the key to being happy. My son loves basketball and wished to be like Michael Jordan but it just isn't in his genetic makeup. However, he is a highly successful adult who likes himself in spite of his moderate stature. You can waste a lot of energy trying to be something different.

I believe in the Serenity Prayer that is used in Alcoholics Anonymous and by many 12 step programs:
God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change,
courage to change the things we can,
and wisdom to know the difference.

|