News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Progesterone and pregnancy

wbntrn - Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:47 pm

Hi,
I am a 32 year old woman with 2 children who were conceived on the first try for each of them. Six month ago we starting trying to have our 3rd. I got pregnant right away again and my HCG levels initially increased approprately but then slowed down and my progesterone was low. I lost the pregnancy at 6 weeks. About a year and a half ago, a while after having my second child, some major changes happened all at once in my body.

My eyes became extremely dry, and I also experienced vaginal dryness, my periods became irregular and I had a lot of spotting, my good cholesterol, which has always been very good, became low, and I also started to feel irritable. My doctor felt some of this was due to low hormones. I mentioned this to my OB after the loss and so they did a progesterone test on a normal cycle for me and it was 8 at 10 dpo. So the next month they put me on prometrium and I did not get pregnant despite trying and my progesterone was still 8 at 10 dpo.

This month my doctor is having me try suppositories and not try to get pregnant until we get the results. I have read about LPD and I know there is some debate about whether low progesterone is the real issue. My question is whether I ought to have further blood tests done to test other hormones or if just focusing on the progesterone is enough? Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:56 pm

User avatar Hi,
I would say this is the most likely hormone concern but has your doctor also checked your thyroid function? Since it is a master gland, other hormones are affected if you don't have adequate thyroid levels and hypothyroidism is very common but often undetected.

I'm sorry but I am not familiar with LPD in this context. Perhaps you can expound on that.

There are hundreds of studies going on right now involving progesterone and pregnancy loss. As you have said, the jury's still out but it doesn't seem to hurt and I have seen many cases where a woman treated with progesterone after multiple losses was able to carry to term.

Aside from the thyroid and what your doctor is already doing, I don't know what more might be helpful. Unfortunately lab work, while an important part, is not the whole picture and we can't get all the answers through blood analysis. At best it is a clue to help the doctor determine the cause of the problem.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here