Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Diabetes and Dark Chocolate

Benster - Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:23 pm

1. 39 2. M 3. Diabetes II, diagnosed approx. 21 yrs. ago and has on the most part never been under control., readings hovering around 400 mg/dL. Are seeing medical problems now: ED, my penis inflates only to about 1/4 the size and the area just below the "head", seems "closed" off, "spongy" inflator damage???, gum disease and most recently, lots of vision problems with mainly right eye: diagnosed with uveitus. interestingly enough, r eye's pupil is dialated 50% bigger than left. l. eye is blurred and objects on l. eye seem to be drastically distorted. I know one of the harmful effects of diabetes is that it damages nerves, blood vessels, etc. I know I don't have my diabetes under control right now, but to help my blood vessels from further damage or to help regenerate?, could eating dark chocolates help? I searched the net and there's info. that dark chocolate has flavonoid that helps regarding blood vessels and flow. Is there truth in it? But there could be a price to pay since chocolate has sugar, a no no for diabetics, the good that could be extracted from chocolate can be nullified by the sugar, and saturated fat. OK, to eat dark chocolate?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:39 pm

User avatar Hi Benster,

There is some data to suggest that dark chocolate may have some protective effects. The problem is that there is not enough research to be sure and it is more likely that the effects on your blood sugar would negate any benefit, as you've suggested.

Getting your blood sugar under control and bringing your Hemoglobin A1c down to below 7 are likely to be the best things you can do to prevent further damage to the nerves and blood vessels. Glucose is an essential component of life but in high levels it becomes toxic so keeping the blood sugar normal is really critical to minimizing and preventing effects of diabetes.

|