Question: thyroidectomy

macawgirl - Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:39 pm

I would like to hear from someone who had a tyroidectomy. How long did the surgery take, how long were you in the hospital and how long before you could go back to work.

I would like to have some input on the post op recovery and symptoms to expect
 meroney - Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:35 am

Hi, well im not formilur with the thyroidectomy but I did have part of my thyroid removed when i was 13, and the rest at 15, my thyroid was plasti something which means it can cause cancer and it stoped growing into my throat, both surgery's were in and out and I was only out for a week afterwards, from personal experience it was painful, I have another surgery scheduled for sometime after i have my baby in january on 2005.

If this doesnt help im sorry.

Hope whoever has a good surgery :D

meroney - Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:39 am

ok sorry again i didnt have a Total thyroidectomy , but i did havea partial removed and then the rest like i said befor,

if the procedure is good it should be an in and out surgery, and you should be able to go to work in a week or week and a half.
 debbie - Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:19 pm

Hi
I had thyroidectomy almost 4 yrs ago now at age 35
I can honestly say I never found it too painful.
I found it more frustrating than painful, as when you lay down, you are unable to move your neck freely.
My scar felt a little tight when healing, but that is all part of the healing process, and as a good surgeon will try to disguise the insicion in a neck crease, you scar will be almost invisible when healed fully.

I am in the Uk, and spent just 4 days in hospital, that was mainly due to the fact that I had to have daily calcium checks for a few days after surgery.

I would say you should ideally take at least 4 weeks off work.
It takes a long while to rid your body of the effects of the anesthetic.
Also depending on why your thyroid is being removed will affect how you may feel.

Good Luck hope all goes well.

ps I have never looked back since having mine removed. Scar is invisible now.

Deb

|