News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: PCOS & Hypothyroidism, Pre-diabetes

lindzyb - Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:50 am

Right now I have a Kidney Infection, at least that's what the doctor told me. He gave me 5 days worth of Levaquin and said if I had any more pain to contact him. Well, of course I'm still having pain and it's been 5 days, so tomorrow I'm going to call him. Before I talk to him about this, I want a different opinion.

About a month and a half ago I was given a 5 hour blood glucose test. First (fasting) was normal, 1-3 hours were normal, then my 4th and 5th hour was "slightly" elevated, and 5th hour was EXTREMELY low. My Doctor said this was "The opposite" of what diabetes did, so he said in his opinion I didn't have Diabetes. He did, however, send me to an Endocrinologist a few weeks later, who diagnosed me with PCOS & Hypothyroidism, & said I was "Pre Diabetic".

I know PCOS has something to do with Insulin levels, and so does Kidney function correct? So I'm having all this illness due to 'insulin level', yet I don't have Diabetes? From the research I've done on my own, most of these things stem from 'prolonged uncontrolled diabetes' yet they say I don't have it. It's stressing me out because now I'm having some other symptoms that I don't know what they are. Looking up the symptoms, I see one thing that says they could POSSIBLY be Pancreas related, which really scares me. Symptoms are: Pain just below the left rib cage (not bad pain, but nagging, pressure, throbbing), dizziness, loss of appetite, stools go from constipation to diarrhea every other day, no regular days.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:05 pm

User avatar I can direct you to a good site that explains PCOS and includes a quiz to help you decide if you might have it.

http://www.pcosupport.org/medical/whatis.php

I would go through this and see if it makes sense. Insulin resistance is one of the characteristics for sure. But, it is not the same as diabetes, though some medications to treat it are the same. The glucose testing you had showed some hypoglycemia. People can have episodes of hypoglycemias without an actual diagnosis, especially when it only happens occasionally. It can be a signal to watch for diabetic symptoms in the future.

I hope your doctor is treating the PCOS. You could also have other conditions at the same time. IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) is one of those possibilities since you are experiencing these bowel symptoms. Don't lose touch with your doctor - keep your appointments to be sure you are getting the right care.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here