News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Is it hypoglycemia?

sweeticeblue - Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:17 am

Hello, I'm a 30-year old female who has been suffering from dizzy spells and "blackout" episodes for almost four months. I was experiencing vertigo in July and a B12 deficiency was found - now I get injections and my B12 is back to normal (and the vertigo went away). Shortly thereafter, I started taking these spells where once or twice per day, my vision fades to black for a few seconds. When it returns, it's grainy and blurred for a few hours. I tremble and shake to the point where I can barely dial the phone and I feel an overwhelming lightheadedness - both symptoms last a couple of hours as well. I have never gone unconcious.

Many of my family members are diabetic and about a year ago, I borrowed my mother's glucose meter because I was experiencing similar symptoms. For about 2 weeks, my sugar readings were anywhere between 4 and 12, but my family doctor refused to look at the results because she was unhappy about me trying to diagnose myself. She told me I didn't have sugar problems and sent me home. She has since asked me not to come back to her with this problem and there are no other family doctors taking patients or offering waiting lists.

I can't live like this. I have a 3-year old son and we are frequently home alone together; I am absolutely petrified that something is going to happen to me - even just fainting - while he is here alone. I haven't been able to drive since the summer and all I do is cry, out of fear and frustration.

I wore a holter monitor overnight last week to rule out an arythmia (which the doctor doesn't think is the problem) and I'm being sent for a CT Scan - all requested by a doctor at an outpatient clinic who just happened to be intrigued by my symptoms.

I tried a glucose meter again for the past couple of weeks and during a few of these blackout episodes, my sugar has been between 3 and 4. I seem to feel best when it's about 6, but it crashes so suddenly that I don't have any warning - sometimes not even enough time to get a glucose pill or juice because I can't see well enough. The problem is that sometimes when this happens, my sugar tests fine, so I'm not sure if hypoglycemia is actually the problem. I feel lightheaded most of the time, a lot of times without any other symptoms.

I was first diagnosed as hypoglycemic during my second pregnancy in 2004. It's been quite manageable and I've always had more than enough time to bring my level back to normal before experiencing any serious symptoms, until the past few months.

I've been referred to an endocriniologist but the wait time in my entire province is between 16 months and 2 years. I haven't been able to complete a glucose test because I can't fast long enough.

I don't know what to do. I'm so scared. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Jayne
 sweeticeblue - Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:18 am

Sorry, I should add that I had basic bloodwork done (thyroid, etc.) and it all came out fine.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here