News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Type 1?

missamerica1234 - Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:20 pm

I am looking for some in put because I suspect my family and I might have Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Type 1.

I am a 27 year old woman and have had a past history of amenorrhea for around 7 years. In the last 2 years I have started lactating (NOT pregnant and never have been). Additionally I have frequent hypoglycemic episodes, and have proven hypoglycemia on an oral glucose tolerance test. I've also noticed things over the last few years that might be indicative of hyperparathyroidism -- heart flutter, general feeling of yuckiness, gastric reflux, and aching bones.

One of my sisters has similar problems (amenorrhea and hypoglycemia). My mother had similar problems, and I just found out that my maternal grandmother had hyperparathyroidism that required her to have her parathyroid glands removed. I'm not sure what additional family history needs to be unearthed.

Basically, I want to know if it's worth investigating possible Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia in my family. I've never had any proper investigations because every time I've gone to the doctor, he treats my symptoms in isolation and says they're no big deal.

What should I do?

Thank you!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:18 pm

User avatar Hi Missamerica1234,

I would recommend you be evaluated for your symptoms. MEN type 1 is a syndrome consisting of parathyroid tumors, pituitary tumors and pancreatic tumors. You potentially have symptoms of a pituitary and parathyroid problem.

Your doctor can work these issues up fully for you.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here