News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: drop in body temperature, weight gain defying caloric intake

Irina67 - Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:44 pm

A 40 year old female with no available/ known family history of illness, I am planning a visit to my primary care physican and need to be forthright to ask the 'right' questions.

I have been diagnosed and dealing with with the following which began concurrently about 15 years ago.
> mild to moderate depression - not a firm diagnosis of a clinical disorder but adhd/ocd behaviors are predominant traits.
> constant, chronic lichen planus.

Currently I am taking 15 mg of dexedrine daily & daily application of betamethasone diprolene. I plan a return to Topiramate of 100 mg/day upon my next doctors visit.

In the past 6 weeks I have had 4 instances where my body temp. has dropped to hover around 94-95F for an hour or so each episode.

I am also experiencing my 2nd lifetime incident of inexplicable weight gain & fatigue, which defies caloric intake, exercise and abstinence from alcohol...about 15lbs a month, the past 4 months.

Previously, when this happenned I went from 135 to 225lbs & three repeated thyroid tests returned normal. It was the topiramate especially which seemed to help me return to a health weight.

My gp doctor knows little about this med as it was prescribed by a psychiatrist he referred me to as he was convinced I was in denial /hiding poor eating habits etc.
The psychiatrist is no longer in my area
but felt there was likely a pituitary link to both the depression and weight gain and maybe even the lichen planus.

I just don't know what to ask for...referral, test...?

Any pointers welcome & appreciated as I am very weary and frustrated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:36 pm

User avatar Hi Irina67,

I'd recommend you discuss your symptoms with an endocrinologist. Your symptoms sound very much like they may be due to low thyroid levels. Generally TSH and T4 are the tests used to assess the thyroid but there are some more specialized tests that can also be used if needed.

Checking your cortisol level may also be of benefit.

Follow up with your doctor will be important. It may also be a good idea to look at the side effects of the medicines you are taking to see if any of your symptoms may be due to side effects.

Best wishes.
 GreenNyad - Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:41 pm

I have a similar problem: though over the past two years I have gained 30 lbs going from an average weight of 155-160 to 195-198. With one week last year about this same time gaining 10 lbs in one week. I have an average body temperature of 94.4 only increasing to 95.6 when I exercise. I eat healthy but seem to be gaining weight steadily which doesn’t match my caloric intake and burn off. I am a very active person walking a minimum of 3 miles a day and jogging three times a week. I often find myself feeling tired, yawning repeatedly through the day. Despite my fatigue I wake easily in the night. I had a thyroid test done 6 years ago along with a full blood work up; everything was normal (or below normal in regards to blood sugar, hdl, and ldl levels). I have yet to make an appointment with my doctor, but am wondering if these may be symptoms of hypothyroidism?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here