Question: overmedicated thyroid and breastfeeding

mommy - Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:48 pm

I am a 39 year old mother of a 2 3/4 month old boy. I weigh 153 and I am 5'5". My prepregnacy weight is 138. I have been taking levoxyl for hypothyroidism for about 7 years. During my pregnancy, my doctor upped my dose of to .2 mg of levoxyl because my tsh was off. Now, after being recently tested, my tsh is 0.016. I know that it is low, but not sure how low.

Since my upped dosage has changed my condition from hypothyroid to hyperthyroid, I have actually felt a lot better. I don't have any symptoms of either condition. I am not losing weight or gaining weight (outside of some of the preganacy weight or which I still have 15 of 40 pounds to lose.) I am not anxious, I don't have high bloodpressure, I don't have trouble falling asleep. I have bowel movements about 2-3 times per week, compared to 1 time per week on the lower dose. I feel good--much better than with the lower dosage.

My questions are:

1. How much hyperthryoid am I? I don't understand the range. Very, Moderately, Little, etc.

2. Is there any harm of this condition or medication that can be passed on to my son through my breastmilk? Since I am not sure of how long I have been like this, I am concerned. My dosage was changed 5 months or so ago and I just recently got tested. THIS IS MY MAIN CONCERN.

3. Is there any side effect of this level of medication to me? I am not noticing anything--I just feel better than before.

Thanks for your advice.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:26 pm

User avatar Hi Mommy,

These are all very good questions. The actual range of "normal" can vary from lab to lab so the best way to answer this question is to ask your doctor what the range is for your test. Many labs use a lower cut off of 0.4 for their normal.

I suspect based on your symptoms and the way you are feeling now that you are only a little hyperthyroid. I would recommend you talk with your doctor about reducing your dose. Your body is clearly sensing that you have too much thyroid hormone. The goal will be that you can get your TSH back into the normal range without compromising your feeling well.

There is no danger with breast feeding while taking levothyroxine. This medicine is very safe and having a bit too much is not a concern for your baby.

|