News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: hypothermia

mmdorm - Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:40 pm

I have a very low body temperature, usually ranging from sub 93 to 94.5. It doesn't affect me in any way, that is no symptons. It is generally below 94 when giving blood, doctgors office, etc. In a hospital, I was measured at 93.5 in the PM. I have noticed this for over 20 years. My question is could it affect blood sugar levels? According to doctors I am either type 2 or glucose intolerent. I have no symptoms of diabetes for 20 years.
age 70 - Male - no surgeries - no family history known - genuvia (once a day)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:26 am

User avatar Hi Mmdorm,

Your low temperature is interesting. You may want to ask your doctor to check your thyroid levels if they have not been. Low thyroid levels can lead to low body temperatures.

Low body temperatures tend to decrease metabolic demands but your body's insulin and other blood sugar regulating hormones should adjust for this. I don't believe that low body temperatures would lead to increased insulin resistance. There may be a connection that I am not aware of though.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here