Question: Adrenal gland problems causing flu like symptoms?

ncbritt1203 - Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:38 am

I am an 18 year old female. I have been ill for the past 3 months, with feelings of dizziness, low grade fevers, nausea (but not all the time), excessive sweating, lower back pain, and extreme anxiety. I recently went to an endocrinologist and had a glucose tolerance test done, everything came back normal, except for my adrenal glands. They aren't functioning right, so last week I had to go get an ACTH stimulation test. I won't be expecting the results for a couple weeks. I'm not very educated on adrenal glands and their function. I was told their was a blockage? and some hormone isnt getting through, and its kind of like its spilling over. I'm not completely sure if i'm remembering correctly, it was all a bit confusing, but from what I understand that's what's wrong. I'm also told that this is a contributing factor to my weight problem. I suppose I'll be more informed once my test results come back. My question is, can all these flu like symptoms and even the intense anxiety that i've been experiencing for 3 months be caused by the problems i'm having with my adrenal glands? Thank you for taking the time to read and answer.
 ncbritt1203 - Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:42 pm

I would also like to add that i have been checked for mono and my white blood cell count is normal. I've also had a ct scan done of my brain and sinus. That is another reason i am rather confused about the constant fevers i've been getting for 3 months, because my doctor tells me that there is no infection in my body. They never reach over 101 degrees though.
ok thank you once again for responding.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:11 am

I am not an expert here by any means but I do have a question. You mentioned your weight problem but didn't say if it was underweight or overweight. Most commonly it is weight loss that is associated with adrenal insufficiency and this is often due to anorexia or dehydration. I am not familiar with other weight issues surrounding this condition.

Fever is considered to be from infection and possibly aggravated by low levels of cortisol. It may be that they have not been able to identify the source of infection, however.

But, it is true, your flu-like symptoms can be caused by this because general malaise, fatigue, weakness and loss of appetite are commonly associated with adrenal insufficiency in adults. It sounds like your doctor is doing a good job checking the systems for other possible causes of your symptoms as well.

Good luck as you await your test results and treatment. Wishing you a full recovery.

|