News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: High Fasting / Normal Post Prandial Implications?

WilliamR - Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:09 pm

My fasting glucose readings have been between 100 and 105 over the past couple of years. At my last labwork, we also did a 2 hour post prandial glucose test, and that result came back at a measure of was 118.

I understand the fasting numbers to be "prediabetic' as they are above 100. However, the post prandial of 118 is a value which I understand is considered to be considered normal (less than 140).

Assuming both the high fasting and normal post prandial numbers are correct, what meaning should I attach to them as far as determining how to best manage my high fasting condition going forward?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:23 pm

User avatar Hello,

Prediabetes is a term that can refer to two conditions: impaired fasting glucose or impaired glucose tolerance. So assuming these readings are accurate you would be considered as having prediabetes. You need to follow up the results with your doctor. This condition is usually treated with lifestyle and diet modification but some patients may benefit from antidiabetic drug therapy as well.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here