News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Alcaptonuria Ochronosis and mood swings

lmb - Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:33 pm

Hello,
My husband has Alcaptonuria (I hope I spelled that correctly). I know that individuals with Alcaptonuria have a problem processing Tyrosene. I know that he has particular difficulty with dairy, beef and gluten items (though I know that other items have tyrosene as well). He also seems to have mood swings when he is off his diet. Because he has trouble processing tyrosene could he have difficulty creating dopamine or other similar hormones? Also, how does this affect his processing of gluten and casein? 2 days after he eats cheese or dairy, he smells like cheese or dairy. It is like he is sweating it out of his system. Any information you could give me would be great.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:58 am

User avatar Hello lmb,

Alcaptonuria is a rare genetic condition where the body is not able to break down phenylalanine or tyrosine (two of the amino acids). The result is an accumulation of one of the intermediate compounds known as homogentistic acid builds up and is excreted in the urine. The result is that the urine turns black.

It is generally considered a relatively harmless disease, although the initial reports of the disease describe significant arthritis that occurs with it. In addition, kidney stones have been reported as well.

The pathway that involves the creation of dopamine is a separate pathway that should not be affected, to my knowledge. Similarly, it should not interfere with the processing of foods with the exception of breaking down the phenylalanine and tyrosine in the foods.

I am not knowledgeable enough of this disease to comment about the issues with dairy that your husband is having. You may want to see a geneticist about this. If possible, seeing a geneticist that specializes in metabolic diseases will likely be able to give you the best information.

Best wishes. I hope this helps some.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here