News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: insulin resistance

jacluc - Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:34 pm

We have been going round and round with doctors trying to help my 5 year old son. He is gross motor developmentally delayed since infancy but other wise has been healthy. The only exception is that between the months of September and January of every year he gains substantial weight while his diet does not change. He has poor muscle tone in is mouth which makes it difficult to chew so his diet has always consisted of a lot of pasta which he hardly chews if at all. After seeing an endocrinologist last year (who didn't take my concern seriously), my pediatrican sent me to a Nutrionist this week. So far this school year he as gained 10 pounds. He is currently 70 pounds. The nutrionist said that based on the fact that all of his weight is around his belly (from behind he doesn't even look overweight), he has a large dark patch on his arm, and suffers from night sweats and wakefulness during these gaining periods, she believes he is insulin resistant. She also said that since he is not chewing his food and is not eating enough fiber or variety it is contributing to the problem. She said that as summer ends and school begins his activity level is dropping too much and that is why the syptoms are being triggered. He does not eat a lot of junk or sweets, as a matter of fact, he chooses to snack on fruits and vegetables. We are currently cutting back portions of pasta, adding more protein and fiber, and increasing excersize. I know you cannot diagnose but does it sound like she is on the right track? He doesn't over eat and this seems to make sense as to why he is gaining.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:50 pm

User avatar Hello,
This sounds like a very realistic approach that can't do any harm. If she is on the right track, you will likely see gradual improvement so time will tell. The recommendations she has made are solid and helpful for anyone so good habits can be developed here.

While fiber can be difficult to chew, it can also be added to juices (Metamucil, Citracel, etc.) Make sure he gets plenty of fluids along with the supplemental fiber.

Best wishes and good luck in your quest for answers to this complexing problem.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here