News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: DHEAS

Erinlittle - Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:17 pm

:?: Recent blood tests show that my DHEAS level is 2.0 UMOL/L - which I have learned is very low. I am a 34 year old female with no symptoms. I will be trying to get pregnant soon (I have never been before). What do these results mean? Do they affect fertility? Should I be taking supplements?

Thanks
 Dr. Russell M - Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:26 pm

User avatar Hi!

Why did you have your DHEA checked? I don't think low DHEA should be affecting fertility. I do know that low levels of DHEA are seen in obesity, arthritis, and certain other medical conditions. DHEA levels in the blood vary depending on the sex, age, renal condition, time of day, position of the body, and the laboratory technique; needless to say, depending on the value would have to go with an endocrinologist's choice.

Hope this helps.

bill
 Erinlittle - Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:18 pm

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your timely response.

I was tested for many things when I went to a centre for preventative medicine. I was also low on BETA, iron saturation, and lymph. I also had H pylori which I would not have been tested for until I had ulcer symptoms! The reason I went is because my sister has metastatic cervical cancer in her inguinal lymph node (& abdominal wall and L or C 5 vertebrae (31 years old)) caused by HPV with no primary tumour. This made the rest of the family a little paranoid. Thus the reason for the test, in a nutshell.

Thanks again.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here