Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Can a diabetic eat sugar if levels are fine?

nightowl66 - Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:26 pm

My partner's sugar levels stay quite stable all the time (on medication - Diaformin) even when she eats things like ice-cream and cakes which are high in sugar. Is it therefore okay for her to eat foods like this or should she just avoid them (and other foods high in sugar) no matter what? I tell her not to eat anything with more than the minimum of sugar in it, but she persists, saying her levels are okay, which they are. Will she have worse complications if she still eats this amount of sugar even though her levels are stable? I don't want that to happen, of course.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:06 pm

User avatar The advice of the American Diabetes Association is "when you choose to eat sweets, according to your individual diabetes and nutrition goals, substitute these foods for other carbohydrates in your meal plan." Sugar has been shown to be something we all should take only in moderation. Our love affair with sugar has caused great health concerns, including obesity, which is a risk factor for diabetes.

Small servings of sweets, if eaten at all, should always be chosen and it is best to balance the sugar in the meal with foods that are more stabilizing with blood sugar such as fiber and raw foods. Eating a lot of sugar is risky for a diabetic and even if everything is controlled now, it may not be in the future and it is known that a "sweet tooth" is often obtained through habits. Eating them regularly now will make it more difficult to change later on if things become less stable.

That said, if she is monitoring her glucose levels as well as her blood fats (HDL, LDL, triglycerides) and they are all stable, her risk is not as great as if they were also out of range. If she is overweight, obviously the sugar will not help and will increase her risks. Exercise also helps so this is an important part of the balance. The main concern is keeping the glucose in check. Keeping your blood glucose, blood pressure, and cholesterol under control can prevent diabetes problems, so the sugar is just a part of the whole picture.

I hope this helps.

|