Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Loss of self control with hypoglycemia?

Nebula222 - Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:22 pm

I have been doing therapy and counseling dealing with issues of an on-line addiction and depression.

I was wondering if high-blood sugar could cause loss of self-control because I notice that I am at my worst with my habit when my blood sugar is elevated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:02 pm

Blood sugar fluctuations can definitely affect behavior. If you find this to be the case for you, it would be wise to try hard to keep your blood sugar in good control. But, you can't really blame your problems on this because it may aggravate but doesn't actually cause the problem.

If you include proteins and complex carbohydrates in your diet regularly, that will help to stabilize the blood sugar. Some people also take a supplement of chromium to help regulate their glucose because it is believed to enhance the action of insulin.

|