Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Fasting Blood Glucose 6.6 home test ???

samantha61 - Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:02 am

I often feel quite sick and dizzy and so bought a home diabetic test - my fasting result was 6.6 this morning. I have very low blood pressure - usually around 81/48 with a resting heart rate of 46. I eat healthy 95% of the time, (averaging 1432 cal per day for past two weeks and drink 3 ltrs of water per day) but perhaps not enough and work out cardio 5 times per week for 45 -60 min(Heart rate at 65 - 79% average - depending on what i'm doing that day) and strength exercises at least 3 times a week. My weight is 143lb at 5'2 height which is a little high so i am trying to lose 5% body fat .... I often wake up feeling ill, sick and dizzy, and again after i have trained... so if anyone can help tell me what i should do, if all of the above is normal i would really appriciate it, thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:29 pm

User avatar Hello Samantha61,

A fasting glucose level of 6.6 mmol/L (approx. 119 mg/dl) is in the range considered impaired glucose tolerance (sometimes called prediabetes). This is not considered overt diabetes. Often an increased level like this correlates to some insulin resistance. This can be induced/exacerbated by many different factors including increased weight and various other hormonal issues. You may want to discuss this with your doctor. Also, this level should be reconfirmed to be sure it wasn't a spurious level.

Unfortunately, your symptoms may actually be due to a number of other issues and the glucose is only one of the possible causes. It sounds like you are in pretty good shape and living healthily. I would suggest you see your doctor for a full evaluation. You may need some blood testing to look at things like your thyroid levels and electrolytes.

samantha61 - Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:01 am

Thank you so much for your help, i have booked another blood glucose test for first thing in the morning and have now made an appointment with my doctor, once again thank you for your help.

|