Question: adrenal burnout?

Austina1234 - Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:22 pm

i am a bedbound 24 year old wife and mother due to a bad reaction i had on a medication, i am concerned i am in adrenal burnout as a secondary reaction to the stress. i have a doctor who makes house calls cuz i cant get out but he does not test hormones. so i recently independently got my saliva cortisol and dhea levels tested but i am not sure how to interpret my results and i need help. is there any way i could get your informal oppinion. my 8am cortisol was 0.23 when the reference range starts at 0.27 (i had just fallen asleep a half hour earlier and was awakened early by the alarm just to take the test not sure if this affected results) mednight was normal at 0.06. my dhea was in the high end of normal range at 456 when the range is up to 640. do you think i am headed towrads burnout, why would my dhea be at the high end of normal and cortisol be low/normal, i tried researching myself and came up with conflicting information. btw my TSH was perfect. please let me know what you think. thank you.

austin
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:29 pm

While your cortisol was about right and the DHEA also normal, it seems unlikely you are suffering adrenal burnout, but these saliva tests are less than reliable. A 24-hour urine test as well as bloodwork would be appropriate to really know if you're for some reason suffering from adrenal exhaustion. I'm not sure why your doctor won't test for hormones, as it is only a matter of collecting specimens and sending them to a lab. However, I get the feeling I'm not getting the whole story here. What sort of medication did caused a reaction that has left you bed bound? What sort of prognosis do you carry for this and how long are you anticipating having to remain bedbound?

All this would help, but in lieu of those facts I would say it seems unlikely you're sufferening adrenal exhaustion. Again, I'm not sure what led you to wonder this to begin with.

Please follow up if you haven't by now learned the answer to your question.

|