News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Insulin resistance & the use of cinnamon

natalia - Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:59 am

Hello, I am a 34 yr old female who has insulin resistance. It was diagnosed in 2002. My endo currently has me on Metformin 2 x daily (850mg each), I have lost approx. 30-40 lbs while on the Metformin. I have always been extremely active but the only way I have seen weight loss results is by taking this med. I exercise 6 days a week for approx. 1 1/2 hr. From high intensity step classes, kickboxing and spinning classes. Suddenly my weight loss has stopped, my endo ran tests and it all came back normal. My question is the following, I currently came accross many articles on cinnamon and it's benefits on insulin resistance and diabetes type 2. It seems to help lower blood sugar and help significantly with insulin resistance. However I read that if taking any type of diabetic medications one must be very caustious to use the cinnamon or non at all because the 2 can have a serious affect, one being a dramatic drop in blood sugar, is this correct? I am currently checking with my own Endo but wanted to hear from other experts in the field. I would like to begin drinking a tea using cinnamon a least 2 times daily.
Thank you very much for this great service and God bless. :)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:33 am

User avatar Hello,
It sounds like you are doing great in controlling your insulin and sugar. The exercise is such an important part that many people struggle with so congratulations!

I am not familiar with the cinnamon but have seen nothing to contraindicate its use so I see no problem with it.

Good luck in your continued efforts to maintain good health.
 Dr. A. Rajput - Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:53 am

User avatar This reply is probabaly very late. But nonetheless it should help future members with similar queries.

Few studies have shown a positive effect of cinnamon in lowering blood glucose as well as its antioxidant properties. It is a spice so can be used as long one doesn't have acid peptic disease.

natalia wrote: However I read that if taking any type of diabetic medications one must be very caustious to use the cinnamon or non at all because the 2 can have a serious affect, one being a dramatic drop in blood sugar, is this correct? I am currently checking with my own Endo but wanted to hear from other experts in the field. I would like to begin drinking a tea using cinnamon a least 2 times daily.

You can take cinnamon along with metformin. Metformin by itself doesn't lower blood sugar. It reduces insulin resistance, which means it increases peripheral uptake of glucose and decreases excess glucose release from liver which is the basic pathology in insulin resistance.

Your basic aim should be - not letting blood glucose shoot above normal limits.

Exercise
Diet planning
Metformin

do help in insulin resistance.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here