Question: Thyroid and adrenal symptoms, confused about lab results

joanmnus - Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:41 pm

I am a 44 year old female whom was diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroiditis about 25 years ago and at the time was told to take synthroid and it would go away. I took synthroid a couple of years and my labs went back to normal. I also had some thyroid nodules. I have no other information from that time. Now I have a thyroid mass on my left lobe measuring 4.6x4.2x6.0cm that is solid with multiple linear cystic spaces within it. There are linear echogenic foci and a coarse calcification within this nodule (as stated in ultrasound/FNA report). My right nodule demonstates multple tiny cystic spaces and bright linear foci. The FNA came back negative. The left nodule has deviated my trachea and is compressing my esophagous and jugular. I am awaiting surgery for removal of thyroid but cannot get the go ahead until my adrenal tumors are totally looked at. I also have bilateral adrenal tumors (small- 1.5 cm and 2.3 cm) which when tested two years ago were not secreting.

Now I have been having the obvious lump in my throat feeling, choking feeling (off and on) and some shortness of breath which seems positional. Also, I have long history of hard to control hypertension which is now controlled beautifully with 3 different meds, including diuretics), daily low grade fevers (99.8-100.9) which directly correspond to activity level (sitting down, my temp. lessens, being up my temp. rises), night sweats, flushing, fatigue, weakness, shakiness from time to time, some periods of anxiousness and racing heart, episodes where I lose my hearing like one does when they are going to faint, edema (significant), weight gain despite eating less than 1000 calories a day with alternating periods of weight loss, hirutism, and most recently elevated glucose readings (not fasting). My endo. is looking at they thyroid (hypothyroidism vs. hashi) and adrenals (pheo. vs. cushings). It seems that I have some symptoms of each.

My labs so far are as follows:
TSH - 6.1 (0.4-5.0) H
DHEA Sulfate - 82 (35-430)
Thyroxine Free - 1.03 (0.70-1.85)
Thyroidglobulin - 133 ( <38 ) H
Thyroidglobulin Antibody - <1.8 (<4.0)
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody - 2403 (<35) H
Glucose 210 (60-99) H? nonfasting
Testosterone, Total - 24 (14-75)
VMA, Urine - 7.8 (<8.0)
Metanephrine, Urine - 128 (30-180)
Normethatnephrine, Urine - 697 (119-451) H (Two years ago this was in the normal range)
Metanephrine, Total, Urine - 825 (156-561) H
Sed Rate = 44 (0-20) H
WBC= has been slightly elevated off and on.
Mild microcytic anemia

I am awaiting more test results including cortisol free results and MRI results (adrenal tumors).

My question is no single thing seems to stand out as causing all my symptoms. My symptoms seem to conflict and many of my labs are good. Do any of these symptoms point to one thing more than the other and what do they look like to you?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:49 pm

Hashimoto's is a complex thyroid disorder defying labs and medications. I don't know why they told you the synthroid would cure it because this is a disease that is managed; not cured.

I can't evaluate your labs but you should be in regular contact with your endocrinologist to be sure you are in the best treatment plan. The doctor should be able to explain this well. If not, I would recommend seeing a different doctor and having copies of your labs and records sent for evaluation. But, labs do not tell the whole story - they are merely helpful in finding answers and each person can have variations that do keep even the best confused at times. Your doctor needs to examine you, check out your swallowing concerns, shortness of breath, weight gain, etc. It is complex and every individual is different in their health and illness response.

Shyva - Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:00 pm

I am 25 years old and have recently been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. Apparently, this does run in my family, but my doctor was still surprised that I have developed it at such a young age, as I always had a high metabolism as a child. By that, I mean that I never gained a lot of weight. I have always been a very healthy weight for my body type until recently.

After having my second and last child, as well as a tubal, I did quite well for the first year and a half. However, over the last six months, I have had a declining energy level, severe fatigue and a need to sleep more than 12 hours a day. This is not like me at all.

I am used to sleeping between 6 and 8 hours, working 8-10 hours a day and then running after my kids and doing housework for the remainder of the day. Now I am lucky to make it to 5pm before I am in serious need of a nap.

All my labs show that my thyroid levels are only slightly below normal, so I am not on medication yet, but I have gained almost 20 lbs in the last three months! I guess my main concern is that I don't know if there are certain foods that I should be avoiding due to this and if a weight loss plan would be advisable, as I have a bad back as well and the weight gain isn't good for that.

I used to work at a health food store, so I am pretty sure that there are things I shouldn't be eating because while I am sure that they don't directly effect my thyroid hormone production, they may cause sugar crashes that would just add to the side effects of lack of thyroid hormone. I have been trying to cut out most of the high sugar and high fat foods from my daily diet, but I am wondering if you might have some other suggestions.

Thank you.

|