Question: elevated testosterone levels

cbernard - Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:09 pm

Hi ~ I'm hoping to get your opinion about my endocrine issues. At age 38 when I was diagnosed a Type 1 diabetic my endo felt that a previous diagnosis of perimenopause was not accurate. Based on my thinning hair, facial hair and erratic periods -- he diagnosed me with PCOS. The irregularity of my periods did not start until I was about 33 - about 2 years after I had my only child. The facial hair has always been with me - although I have gotten much more on my chin and neck over the last few years. The thinning hair started in the past 5 years as well.

I weigh 111 lbs. and am 5' 3". I have never been overweight and in the past four years have had two ultrasounds (transdermal and transvaginal) and there were no cysts. Up to age 33 - my periods were always on time and the same no matter what was happening. Since starting to see my endo - he has been checking my testosterone level periodically. Over the past two years my testosterone has been steadily increasing. First finding was in the 50's and now it is in the 80's.

My endo has asked for another ultrasound to rule out the possibility of an ovarian tumor that might be secreting the testosterone.

I just haven't felt right about the PCOS diagnosis. I see that I have some of the characteristics but some of these did not start until I was 33 and I definitely don't have insulin resistance.

Based on all of this information, do you think there might be another reason for what is happening?

Thanks for your input.

Cindy
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:48 am

From my experience I am in complete agreement with your doctor's course of action. You do not need to have ALL the possible symptoms of a condition to still have it. Every person is unique and a syndrome means many symptoms often occur together in people exhibiting this disorder, but each woman may exhibit a different group of the many possible manifestations. I would stay with the doctor and see what he can do to help you.

|