News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: POTS and Addisons

noclueboy - Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:25 am

My wife was diagnosed 2 years ago with Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome and recently the doctor found her to have low cortisol levels.

Are the two conditions possibly related?

What, besides Addisons, can cause low cortisol?

What treatments are there, natural or drug, for low cortisol?

I am offline most of the day, but can provide any needed details as I check back in. Thanks for looking!

"Good health to you."
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:33 pm

User avatar Hello,
Addison's Disease is the most common diagnosis relating to low cortisol levels. You can learn more about it here:
http://www.doctorslounge.com/primary/di ... ddison.htm

Some have also described adrenal fatigue and this can also affect blood sugar, causing hypoglycemia. It can also result from infection.

Autoimmune disorders can also lead to low cortisol, as well as some medications. The hypothalamus and pituitary glands release corticostropin releasing hormone (CRH). Disorders in these glands can cause low cortisol lab results.

As you can see, this can be complex and there is no single medication to just raise the cortisol. Your wife will need to work with her endocrinologist to get more information but I don't see an association with the POTS. I'm not an expert, however.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here