Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Low blood glucose and trace of glucose in urine.

KDCwv32 - Sun May 18, 2008 11:51 am

I just recently went in for a check-up and had blood and urine analysis done. In the past I've had protein show up in my urine but for the past year or so it hasn't been there. However this time they found a trace of glucose in my urine and my blood glucose was low around 68 which it has been before but they didn't mention it last time i guess because there wasn't any in my urine. I have to get it re-checked in a month. Is this a sign of diabetes? No one in my family has it.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:40 am

User avatar Hi there,
This is a condition known as renal glycosuria, where the blood glucose is low or normal but urine shows glucose. It's usually related to improper functioning of renal tubules (filters) which could be temporary. Some people have an inherited trait and will always show glucose in urine despite normal blood levels. These conditions are generally benign.

Diabetes is defined by its level in whole blood. Urine glucose is not diagnostic of diabetes.

Best wishes,

|