Question: major period flow changes

alias - Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:04 am

I am a 19 year old female. About 4 years ago I was told that I had mild PCOS but nothing to really worry about. I mean when I got my period it was light for day one and two and then it was heavy for the next three days and I mean really heavy. However, for the last 4 months I really haven't been getting my period at all. I'll see blood and put a pad n but then in two days time I might have a finger sized are of blood on the pad and it is usual so dark now its like brown. Sometimes it will be like this for the 5/6 days and sometimes that's just it until I get my "period" again. Help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:20 pm

It sounds like you may be experiencing anovulation (not ovulating), which is a common feature of PCOS. The hormonal signals are not happening to trigger the period. If you were ready to conceive a child, this might be of greater concern for you but it is not a real problem now. I realize many women like the feeling of being "normal" that comes with a monthly cycle, but it is not actually necessary for good health. It also assures women who are sexually active that they are not pregnant. There are treatments to help the side effects of PCOS so you may with to consult with your gynecologist if this is a problem for you.

|