Question: T3 & T4 Out of Range - need I worry?

PostPro - Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:21 pm

Hello - the last 3 times I've taken a Thyroid test, each has come back with a LOW T3 and a HIGH T4 (seems contradicting to me). Both are nicely bolded and say they are "out of range" on my lab test, but none of my Doctors take notice. Is this result actually normal?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:59 am

User avatar Hi there -

While the findings as quoted do sound counterintuitive, they could indicate a pituitary imbalance rather than a thyroid problem. It is difficult to know with any certainty without the numbers, however, as they could be close enough to normal to not really indicate anything.

Are there any symptoms that caused this testing to be done? Would you happen to have access to the actual test results? That would really be helpful in trying to figure out what they mean, although if the doctor is unconcerned, it seems likely they are just out of range.

Let us know if you can come up with the actual numbers and we can see if there is any cause for concern or if it's all relatively normal.
 PostPro - Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:39 pm

Hello - I opted to take the test myself through "private MD" as I've had generic weird symptoms for 7 years an no one can figure out whats wrong. For 7 years I've had "idiopathic urticaria" 24/7, extreme fatigue, difficulty swallowing. Recently, in a weird turn of events I've notice that the pores on my arms are bleeding. Nothing horrible. just specs that once I wipe away, they come back immediately.

As far as the results go, the T4 was measured in ug/dL, which states I should be between 4.5-12.0, I was at 15. The T3% says I should be between 24-29, I was at 21.

Are these results close enough to be normal?

Many Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:10 pm

User avatar Hello again -

Well the thyroid results are just slightly off, and while that warrants a follow-up, it really doesn't deviate enough to explain anything nor to treat. The other symptoms are something else, and these need to be investigated thoroughly. It could be the result of a chronic systemic infection or possibly an allergy to something.

Thanks for the follow up, and please keep us updated.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:27 am

User avatar I hope you are feeling better. Please keep us updated.

|