News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: What would be a reasonable weight loss goal?

sunflowerg3 - Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:14 pm

I have type 2 diabetes and have lost about 75 lbs over the past two years with diet and exercise. I started at about 268 and am down to 195. My goal is to get down to 150 (which is the top end of normal bmi range for my height). When I mentioned this to my endocrinologist several months ago, she indicated that it would be really difficult for me to lose that much weight since I'm diabetic. She didn't give me any more details than that. I have gone through several long weight plateaus in the past 12 months, and I'm starting to get really discouraged. I've seen several non-diabetic friends lose much faster than I have. I eat healthy and exercise at least 3 times a week for at least half an hour. What would be a good weight loss goal for me if 150 is unreasonable?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:26 pm

User avatar Hello and congratulations on this wonderful success you have had so far!

Of course I don't know any details about your health and other factors but based on the information you have shared I see no reason why you could not achieve your goal weight. If I were you I would consider seeing a registered dietician to help you plan an eating program with your goals in mind, based on BMI, activity levels and dietary restrictions. I have seen successful weight loss efforts in diabetics and with exercise it is sometimes even possible to cure type II diabetes. You didn't mention which type you have so I can't know if this is possible in your case or not, but recently the medical community has learned that type II diabetes is curable; not just manageable in some cases. Keep up the good work - slow and easy will still win the race and you will be healthier if you can achieve this goal.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here