Question: Choking on Thyroid

AzMichelle - Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:36 pm

I am in the process of being dx'ed with a thyroid problem but for the time being I feel like I am choking on my thyroid. It's uncomfortable, I sound like a 90 y/o woman that smoked 80 of those years. I have to hold my head up so I look like I'm looking at the sky just to stop coughing and choking. It feels like I swallowed something and it's stuck, but I know it's not. Diagnostics confirmed it is thyroid.

I can't sleep because I feel like I can't breathe although I can, I can't swallow well, and most of all it is making me crazy.

Is there anything I can do for symptomatic relief until I see the surgeon? I have an appt coming up soon but I think I'm going to lose my mind in the meantime.

A lot of this is my own fault because I put off doing anything about it for so long but now that I have myself in this mess, anyone have any suggestions? :lol: I've already tried NSAIDs, ice packs, everything. Nothing works. Daily this thing pokes me in all new ways. I'd scream if I could but I can't even do that.

Suggestions?
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:08 am

User avatar Hello:
I am afraid there are no home remedies for an enlarged thyroid other than what you are doing which is to position yourself in the most comfortable position so as to not feel you are choking. Have you explained to the doctor about the coughing and feelings of choking?

Symptoms such as difficulty breathing, neck pain, change in voice, choking, or trouble swallowing should be investigate to determine whether an enlarged thyroid might be the cause of these symptoms.

Potential problems to look out for include possible compression of local structures such as nerves, blood vessels and the trachea, and a risk of cancer.
Growth or enlargement of the thyroid may be due to a number of different conditions. The majority of patients with thyroid enlargement have benign thyroid disease

In rare instances, a very large thyroid gland (goiter) can cause compression of local structures in the neck, such as the airway (trachea). If this problem continues to worsen, patients may experience shortness of breath, which can develop quite rapidly if damage to the trachea causes collapse of the airway. Patients with large goiters may need to have their airway examined, through the use of imaging studies such as a chest X-Ray, or MRI, or CT scan. If significant narrowing of the trachea is detected, treatment options include surgery, and less often, possibly radioactive iodine in patients who are not considered ideal surgical candidates.
I don't know how long it has been since you saw the doctor or how long these feelings of choking have persisted, but if they become very troublesome I would suggest you go back to the doctor and explain to him the trouble with choking and breathing you are having. I hope this helps.
Regards,
Carolyn
 NWATPA - Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:39 am

I am a 66 year old caucasion female. Recently I had an on the job injury and had to have an MRI which detected small 3-4 mm colloid cysts within both lobes of the thyroid gland. The visualized prevertebral and paraspinal soft tissues are unremarkable. The vertebral arteries are patent. At age 21 I had a mass of cysts, right ovary and appendix removed. At 36 I had my left submaxillary gland removed. At 46 I had my right bartholin gland removed. Additionally, I had a hysterectomy and fibroid tumors removed in my late 40's. I take generic acetaminophen for arthritis pain and no other medication. My question is regarding the cysts that showed up in my thyroid. What does all that mean? Is it serious and if so, what is the treatment?
 Dr. Shank - Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:01 pm

Dear NWATPA:

Your question was almost missed. Please be sure to start your own topic, the next time you have a question.

The good news is that colloid cysts are harmless. They do not require treatment, unless they become big enough to bother you (yours are a long way from that!). They represent collections of colloid, the storage form of the thyroid hormones, and they come and go on their own. If they do become large enough to be bothersome, they can usually be reduced in size by taking enough thyroid hormones that your thyroid gland does not need to make much of its own, but not so much that your body gets more than it needs.

Colloid cysts are more common in people whose thyroid glands are having difficulty making enough thyroid hormones and following injury to the thyroid gland (such as following a viral infection or after radioactive iodine therapy). Most of the time, there is no obvious cause.

|