Question: Angiodema due to hormone levels?

armywifehamlin - Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:31 pm

My symptoms all started when I had my third c-section in November of last year. Everything went fine with pregnancy, but after the c-section I had sever menstral bleeding and stomach cramps. I went to the ER numberous occasions for pain. They could never find anything out of the ordinary. Finally in March 08 my OB did a laproscopy to see if they could find anything. They found sever scar tissue wrapped around my bladder and uterus and removed it. But did not find the cause, the pain was more sever then before so the OB went in again in April 08 and found endomitriosis. New symptoms started appearing everything smelling bad, dizziness, Migrains (on one side of the head at a time starting from the back of the head crawling up to behind the eye), inability to hold bladder, nausea, felt like I was swallowing a rock everytime I swallowed, excessive weight gain, pain under my rib cage left side, inablitiy to concentrate, fatigue (could sleep all day), weakness in my legs and arms, neck pain. Found out the pain under left rib cage is a swollen spleen (no doctor can figure out why). Has been swollen twice the size of a normal spleen since February 08. No sign of sickness. Went to a Reumatologist (have been checked for all soft tissue diseases) and auto immune disorders. In April I receive Depo provera shot, seems that is when the Migrains may have started, and aslo the throat swelling. on 4/27/2008 went to the hospital for sever migrain and was given Tramadol, Benadryl and Compazine (seemed to help a little, just wanted to go home.) Went home and went to bed, 15 hours later woke up with a little headache, drank some coffee, felt like my throat was burning (like I was getting a sore throat), then my nose started closing up, had a hard time catching my breath, (called an ambulance after the tongue was swollen). This all happened within 15 minutes. Here is the report from the ER Visit we still can not figure out what happened I went to an allergist and am not allergic to the coffee.

Neurologic Status- The patient had remained alert, oriented, and with a non focal exam. She had been complaining of a new onset of headaches approximately one to two days prior to admission which had peristed. She had been seen in the emergency room as previously outlined. Because of ongoing headaches, a head CT was performed which showed cerebellar tonsillar ectopia consistent with a borderline Chiari I morphology without evidence of hydrocephalus or significant deformity of the cervicomedullary junction or upper cervical cord. There was a mild prominence of subarachnoid space of the cranial vertex. No subdural collectons noted. Because of the changes seen on th CT, an MRI of the brain was preformed. There was mildly prominent subarachnoid spaces overlaying the cervical convexities bilaterally. This likely represents a normal anatomic variant.There is tonsillar ectopia measuring up to 1 cm without evidence of associated hydrocephalus. There is no evidence of dural thickening or enhancement. The study was otherwise unremarkable.

Pulmonary Status –The patient had acute tongue and throat swelling. She was examined in the emergency room and had minimal swelling and bogginess of the tongue and the uvula. The etiology of the angiodema was not clear but she had drank coffee. The patient did not have any other exposures that she could recall. She did receive medications in the ER The day before.

Cardivascular status The patient initially was tachycardic after receiving subcu epi. Her hemodynamics improved and were stable throughout the hospital course.

GI- The patient has cronic abdominal pain in part felt to be secondary to endometriosis. She is on chronic narcotics. Her outpatient medication regimen was started with the exception of NSAIDs which could potentially cause angiodema. The patient will follow up with he primary care physician.

5. GU Renal function remains stable.

Endocrine. No acute endocrine issues.

Infection Disease- As part of admission to the ICU, a nasal swab was obtained for MRSA. The patient did have a positive for MRSA. No signs or symptons of active infection.

Well this is the report I have been seeking answers from all sorts of specialist to find out what is exactly wrong with me. The only thing that is consistent in the blood tests is reactive lymphocytes of 7. I just seem to be getting more fatigued and a migrain atleast once a week. I got the Depoprovera about 4 weeks before the angiodema attack. I have gained 40lbs since, and my face has broken out with pimples. Also every month around my menstraul period I will break out with welts on my face. No one can figure this out please help..
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:23 am

User avatar Hello,Angiooedema are some times serious and life threatening.Possibly yours was related to NSAID drugs.The treatment of angiodema necessarily needs corticosteroids which has resulted in your weight gain and acne.Once stabilized and weaned off steroids your problem should settle.Best wishes.

|