News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Splenoid cyst is growing

robertb - Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:22 pm

Hello! About 3 years ago, I had a CT scan (they were looking for a kidney stone), but "accidentally" found a cyst on my spleen a little smaller than 1 cm. An MRI was scheduled which confirmed it was just a fluid filled cyst.

I had another CT yesterday thinking I had another stone. That 1 cm cyst is now 4 cm. I will have another appt with my primary this week to discuss it, but I was wondering what do you think this could be and is the growth significant and what (if any) actions do you think my doctor would (or should) recommend?

Also, I am "borderline" diabetic (even though I know there's really no such thing) but lately my bg levels are running up some. Whereas my fasting used to be around 80, it's now 140 and my (2 hour after meals) reading is running around or above 200. Can a splenoid cyst affect the pancreas and thereby affect insulin/glucose levels?

Thank you,
Robert
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:12 pm

User avatar Hello,

The most common cause of splenic cyst is posttraumatic cysts. Misdiagnosed traumas to the spleen result in intrasplenic hematoma or laceration that is seen by scan as cysts. Difficult colonoscopy for example has been reported to cause splenic trauma and hematomoas.

Other cysts that are not uncommon include inflmmatory spelnic abcess and pancreat pseudocysts. Whether these cysts affected the pancreatic function and insulin release or not is uncertain and is difficult to tell.
These cysts rarely become malignant.

Neoplastic cysts in the spleen are not common and include cavernous hemangioma (benign), lymphoma, angiosarcoma and metastases (malignant).

Management depends on the nature of this mass and its effect.

I would advise you to follow up with your physician.
Hope you find this information useful.
Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here