Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: $yr old daughter - ketotic hypoglycaemia + other problems

Mumtofive - Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:33 pm

Hi. From the time my now 4 yr old daughter was born she was in hospital with various allergy and skin problems. When she was 3, she had some problems with what appereared to be "sugar" problems and was later diagnosed as ketotic hypoglycaemic. She also has atopic dermatitis (more than 75% of body) and quite a number of allergies which include egg, peanuts and dust. We have tried numerous creams etc on her body but she still has open wounds which are very itchy and weeping, she is very skinny and her hair and nails are terrible. I have had her at the doctors at least 3 out of 7 days a week and the problems seem to be worse. The skin is inflamed and scaly and when she scratches it, it peels in "puzzle like" pieces. Please help!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:24 pm

User avatar Hello Mumtofive,

Skin problems in children can be quite irritating for them. I have a few thoughts that may help. 1st, is she using a topical steroid cream or ointment for the inflamed areas. When eczema gets this bad, moisturizers alone are unlikely to control it. (In rare instances, an oral steroid is needed initially to bring it under control.)

2nd, are we sure it is eczema? Psoriasis can sometimes look a lot like eczema. With all the atopic issues, it probably is eczema but it is important to get the right diagnosis to get the right treatment.

Also, with all the food allergies, food allergies themselves can spur on pretty severe eczema. The key to food allergies at her age is complete avoidance of the offending foods to maximize the chances of "growing out of the allergy". Avoiding allergic triggers (the foods, etc.) can dramatically improve skin eczema.

If possible, I would recommend your daughter be seen by a pediatric dermatologist and a pediatric allergist. The allergist is important in getting this under control. Sometimes the food allergy issue is forgotten about with eczema.

One other thought is that sometimes severe eczema can become superinfected with bacteria that will prevent it from getting better. An antibiotic is needed in these cases.

Best wishes. I hope this helps some.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:27 pm

User avatar Hi again,

Sorry, I forgot to comment about the Ketotic hypoglycemia. This is actually quite common for toddlers. Frequent meals (even small snacks) can help prevent the low blood sugars. Almost all kids with this grow out of it over the next few years.

|