Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Blood Sugar Levels For 8 Year Old-What is Normal???

fyrbug08 - Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:26 am

Just trying to find out what the norms are for children 8 years old. My daughter has had bed wetting and constipation since birth. She has never had a dry night. She also drinks plenty of water throughout the day. I have cut her liquids, changed her diet, tried prescription medications and inhalents, and even purchased an alarm, but nothing has seemed to help. She has been eating a lot as well. She has been 55 pounds for the last 2 years. She is getting taller, but not gaining much weight. She is not thin looking.

Her levels are:

Last meal of day at 5:30P - tested sugar at 9:30P it was 133
Checked her again this morning at 6:00A and her level was 113

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:46 pm

Dearest Jill,
Sorry, it took a while to answer you, but I have been trying to put all the data you've given together.
I must admit you are very keen on knowing what may be the matter with your daughter, and I respect that very much!
However, you must know I am not here to diagnose but to guide you to a solution and may be make things clearer.
I still have a few questions unanswered, such as, was this neurological deficit of your daugther ever investigated. Other than the MRI, what explanation was given for the delayed mentality & difficult coordination?
You mentioned there was difficult transition & low oxygen saturation, how long did that last , & could that have affected her brain?
As regards the constipation, are her stools of narrow calibre, & what kind of GI studies were done? Just mention the name of the studies, if possible. Also, was she ever given cow's milk?
The excessive urination, has that been investigated?
The rash & mouth blisters, what explanation was given for that?
Now the simplest explanation would be, if we decide to put aside the neurological deficit, is that the change in diet shortly after birth & abuse of laxatives may have caused her constant constipation. Prolonged stool retention results in a vicious cycle of retained stools, painful defecation, resisting the urge to defecate, further retention of stools, & so on. This should explain the severe pain she suffers.
On the other hand,children with neurological impairment of any cause, are at risk for constipation from poor GI motility and impaired sensation.
Bed wetting may then result from stool impaction from chronic constipation.
On the other hand, excessive urination due to an underlying disease process may be the cause of her failure to thrive, excessive drinking of water & constipation would then result from dehydration.
If your daughter is stressed from all these problems, she would eat a lot, too.
As for the blood glucose levels, they are quite normal and diabetes mellitus is a remote possibility, since this is a longstanding condition, and there are other criteria for diagnosis

|