News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: BROKEN TOE WITH DIABETES

martisauce52 - Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:16 pm

I BROKE THE TOE NEXT TO THE LITTLE TOE ON MY LEFT FOOT THREE WEEKS AGO. JUST YESTERDAY, THAT FOOT IS TURNING PURPLE IN PLACES WITH THROBBING BURNING PAIN. IS THERE ANY THING THAT CAN BE DONE FOR MY FOOT? I HAVE READ WHERE YOU JUST HAVE TO TOUGH IT OUT BUT IT IS REALLY BOTHERING ME. I AM 56 YEARS OLD AND HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH DIABETES SINCE 2007.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:07 pm

User avatar Hi there -

While toe fractures such as you seem to have had usually get little to no medical attention beyond treating the symptoms, because they tend to resolve on their own if there's no deformity. They can bruise pretty badly however, and this then tends to filter out into the adjacent tissues. This wouldn't be much of a problem at all except that you've been recently diagnosed with diabetes, which can affect the speed of healing and especially so where the feet are concerned. However, if your diabetes is well controlled, this may not be a problem. If you test your glucose levels daily and they are within the acceptable range for controlled type II diabetes, you probably won't have any additional problem with the toe fracture. If it's very painful at least you've still got good sensation there (so the nerves haven't been damaged by diabetes). Treat the pain with over-the-counter pain meds such as iburprofin or,if that doesn't give you adequate relief, bring this up to your doctor. Also, the discoloration should continue to spread,but also should start to lighten up (often going from purple to yellowish as it slowly disappears). If things get worse instead of better, or if you notice any change in sensation (loss of feeling in the area) let your doctor know at once. Otherwise, it would seem you're probably safe to "tough it out", but with something for pain.

Hope this is helpful to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here