Question: Acute pain in kidney area associated with adrenaline rush

michaelt@3rivers.net - Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:14 pm

Whenever I have a huge adrenaline rush, it is followed by a severe pain in my kidney area. It comes in a big wave and is very severe. I was concerned I would black out last time it happened. It only occurs with very extreme adrenaline rushes. Aside from the adrenaline rushes, I often have a dull ache in my lower back/kidney area. It is kind of vague and I do not believe it is muscular or skeletal. I also have noticed than in the last few years I urinate more often and less volume. Thank you for any advice.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:56 pm

User avatar Hello-

While I'm not aware of adrenal tumors causing localized pain upon release of adrenaline, it's possible, and equally possible there is something else going on with one of your adrenals and no tumor involved. It is an odd symptom, but one that certainly deserves evaluation by a medical professional, preferably a urologist.

There's too little else to go on to make even an educated guess here, beyond the fact that kidney/adrenal problems need to be ruled out.

Good luck to you with this. Please follow up with us when you learn more.
 smbaker79 - Mon May 18, 2009 1:18 pm

I just wanted to say that I have THE EXACT same problem!

It's usually during a time where my adreneline peaks quickly, like a confrontation with someone in anger or an almost car wreck, etc. The first few times it happened I thought I was going to pass out from the pain. It's localized around my kidneys and it's sudden onset, lasting for a few minutes after the intial stressor occurs.

I have brought it up to my endocrinologist and she said she has no idea what it could be, but if it continues she would order a CAT scan of the adrenals. I wish I could envoke the sort of stress that triggers it while hooked up to some test! LOL.
 Guapo - Fri May 29, 2009 2:23 pm

this has happened to various times for the past 10 years or so, and it just happened today, and wanted to see if this had happened to any one else.
Thanks for your posts, btw, and let me know if you've heard anything else on the topic.
I'll be seeing my Dr. just in case.

Coastie825 - Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:08 pm

I have Addison's Disease and get the same thing. Your adrenal glands (they sit on top of your kidneys) may be having problems. I'm suurprised your endocrinologist may not have questioned this. Addison's disease is your bodys' inability to cope with stress because of a lack of cortisol production. The adrenaline rush may be too much stress for your adrenals. Just a thought.
 solipsist816 - Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

This happens to me everytime adrenaline is pushing. Sharp knife-like pain in kidney area. Pulsating with every heartbeat. Over and over. Never heard of Addison's disease, but will research. Also, legs give out when this is happening. They automatically go to the fetal position. This will effect my fight or flight, because I'm not able to do either in this situation. I am so relieved, but sorry there are other's experiencing this. This is serious to me. Please if anyone has gotten a correct diagnosis, post reply. Thank you so much.
 pooler - Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:24 pm

Over the past two years I've had the same symptoms, the last was immediately after walking during a thalium stress test. This usually occurs when I am suddenly upset, but it has occasionaly happened when I have been exercising. In my most recent episode I had just finished walking on the teadmill and had laid down on the table. The ECG was still running. The pain subsided within two minutes. At the time I told the tech about the pain, but he apparently failed to acknowledge/record those symptoms (my doctor said it was not recorded in the report.). Nevertheless, there was nothing amiss in the actual ECG recording or the other stress test results. My cardiologist has ordered a CT scan of the abdominal and pelvic regions. If nothing shows up in these tests he said he may order a heart cath study to see if it is a partially blocked artery. He said that a stress test is only 85% accurate and that in some cases angina symptoms are felt in the back as opposed to the chest. I told him I had heard the pain usually accompanying angina was described as "squeezing," and I would not describe the pain I was having as squeezing. I had a coronary stent placed about five years ago, and he wants to be sure no blockage has occured. If that study is clean I will talk with a renologist or urologist about the issue.

If nothing shows up after all these tests, one solution will be to take a beta blocker that will block the effect of the adrenaline. Of course, that is one of the medicines you are not supposed to take before any kind of stress tests since it affects the results. Nevertheless, if taken before an anxiety producing situation it will reduce the effects of the adrenalin rush.

|