Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Fructosamine test

mdee - Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:40 pm

What is a fructosamine test and what would be a normal range? I just got back lab tests for a routine exam. The only thing that I can't figure out is what the fructosamine means. The printout says a normal range is 1.2 to 2.0 (MMOL/L). My value is 2.6. What does that mean?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:13 pm

A fructosamine test is used in much the same way and for the same purpose as hemoglobin A1C is: to determine if the patient's glucose has been in or out of normal range over the previous few weeks, which is helpful in determining whether or not the patient has diabetes or if diabetic treatment (or lack of it) is working well. If the level is elevated over the previous reading, it means the serum glucose has been elevated over the interim period. While there is no absolute "normal" level (different labs use different "normal" values and different measures), the relative change, in per centage, is what tells the story. Your result would (or will, in the future) determine what the relative meaning is. In any event, based on the mmol/L standard, it isn't exceptionally high, but again, this will not mean as much as the relative change, if there is one.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

|