News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: what are "normal" blood glucose levels?

Kazzy - Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:06 am

Hi,

I ran a few random blood glucose tests on myself as i wanted to rule out hypoglycemia as the cause of my migraines.

The results i got ranged from 3.9mmol/L to 7.7mmol/L

I'm not sure if this is normal or not however as i've found alot of varying levels when i ran a search on the internet.

Could you please let me know if these levels are within the normal range or not.

Thank you,

Karen
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:21 am

User avatar Hello Karen,
Hypoglycemia does not have an established biochemical criterion. The diagnosis of hypoglycemia requires careful correlation with clinical features. However, generally speaking a random glucose level of <2.2 mmol/L in an adult female should raise concerns of hypoglycemia.
 Kirsty_Oz - Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:25 am

from what i know of diabetes (my brother has had type one for 10 years)

for a person that does not have diabetes, 7.5 or below is normal.
peaking slightly above that can occur and optimal level is 3.5-5

sustained higher levels can produce symtpoms such as excessive urination, rapid weight loss, excessive thirst etc

if you have continued migraines or you measure you blood glucose and it is regularly above 7.5; see your doctor.
 Kazzy - Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:33 am

Thank you both for your responses.

Karen

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here