News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Partial Thyroid & Calcium Oxylate Kidney Stones

MegWithStones - Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:40 am

I am 30 and I am passing painful kidney stones every two weeks. I had a partial thyroidectomy in 1996 and have not been on medication. It has been suggested that it could be a para thyroid issue but my blood tests show everything within low range of normal. I am overweight (170 lbs at 5'3) and eat extremely healthy and go to the gym. I was very small before I had my thyroid out. I also have abnormal hair growth on my chin and I have had type 2 diabetes mentioned to me as well but my blood sugar levels also check out as normal. How do I even begin to discern what is wrong with me when my blood tests look healthy??
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:18 pm

User avatar Hello,

Causes of increase calcium in urine (hypercalciuria) and calcium stone formation include increased intestinal absorption of calcium, excessive level of certain hormones like parathyroid hormone and vitamin D or excess renal calcium loss due to defect in the kidney.

-The thyroid hormone itself has an effect on increasing renal excretion of calcium thus may promote calcium stone formation especially if you do not take enough fluids. 20% of patients with hyperthyroidism have high blood calcium level.

-High blood sugar and insulin release is known to increase the excretion of calcium thus may also promote calcium stone formation.

-Excess intake or absorption of oxalates may result also in precipitation of calcium in urine and the formation of calcium oxalate crystals and stones.

So investigations would include 24 hours urine analysis (calcium, phosphate, urate, and oxalate levels), kidney function tests, parathyroid hormone, thyroid function tests and vitamin D level, serum calcium level as well as blood sugar.

This will provide an idea about the likely cause.
Since the parathyroid hormone was at a normal level, other causes should be checked out.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor he might recommend repeating the blood and urine tests as well as consultation of an endocrinologist.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here