Question: An idea of the cost??...

wilsonj - Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:02 am

Im pretty sure ive narrowed down my problem to hyperthyroidism, however id still like to get the tests done. would anyone be able to give me an estimated cost of what the tests will run, and what the medication will cost?(without insurance) I believe it was something like a radioactive iodine tablet?...thanks in advance!
 Dr. Russell M - Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:25 am

User avatar Hi!

I am sorry I cannot be of any help here. Have you discussed with your doctor regarding the cost details?

bill
 heather25 - Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:41 pm

Hey WilsonJ... I can't be of much help, but... I have a friend who has to take medication and when I was telling her I thought I had problems with my thyroid, she told me the medication was not expensive. Though I didn't think to ask what she pays. Normally a blood test isn't too costly and from my experience most places will allow you to pay it out if you need to. I recently had a test for my thyroid but haven't got the bill yet. I understand your concern for not having insurance, cause I'm in the same boat and desperately need to see a Dr. about problems I'm having. But in my experience, sometimes it's best to do what you can before it gets too bad and costs you more money than it has to.

Sorry I didn't have more exact info but hope this helps a little.
 natureschild1961 - Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:16 am

Hi! My sister has had problems with her thyroid, and her "tests" proved to be quite expensive, especially with one of the new ones that required some machine that evidently costs a lot. One bonus here, though. I don't know about where you live, but here in Orlando some of the hospitals have programs where they "write off" a certain amount of hospital/lab expenses each month and all you have to do is call them about it. They also offer reduced fees at the county hospital for those who are not insured. As for the meds themselves, if they are too expensive, I know from personal experience that you can contact the manufacturer of most drugs and qualify for reduced cost or even free meds. All you have to do is answer a few questions and usually give them a copy of your last years tax return for proof of income. I got 2 meds that cost over a thousand each month from Schering Pharmaceutical by doing this! My cost --- zero. And the income guidelines were very reasonable! Good Luck!
Teresa 8)
 wilsonj - Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:26 pm

very cool, good info to have, thank you much

|