Question: Swollen Tongue

alexandria567 - Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:37 am

Hi, 24 female. Sister has hyper-hypo thyroid ism. My tongue was always a little swollen in the mornings after eating a lot(visible teeth indentations on the sides of tongue) But today I have had a tongue so swollen that it created a lisp when I spoke. The swelling went down but returned again in a 8 hour period. Swollen only on one side with pain and discomfort when I swallow. I am also taking antibiotics for a bladder infection as well as dealing with lowering my lexapro dosage. I took an antibio yesterday and I had abdominal cramping accompanied with diarrhea. Stopped taking it then went to doctor he prescribed another one. The swelling happened in between the antibiotics, 8 hours after first bad antibio and 4 hours before new antibio. Could be completely unrelated. I told doctor about it, he offered no explanation or concern. I assume that it is not serious then. Then again, it was a discount doctor....(free clinic i am poor)
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:44 pm

User avatar Hi there -

A swollen tongue isn't normal, and if it produces symptoms it is worthy of some concern. If it's resolved by now, maybe it's ok, but if it happens again, please have it looked at right away. This can be (and usually is) either an allergic response to something (could easily have been the first antibiotic you were taking, and allergic reactions don't always happen with the first dose, so that doens't matter); it also could be angioneurotic edema, which is probably usually an allergic reaction as well, but often is not traceable to the triggering agent. In either case the problem can be serious, so if it does happen again, please call a doctor or go to an urgent care facility or emergency room. It's never something one can afford to just ignore.

I hope this is helpful and that by now everything is back to normal. Best of luck to you.

|